Friday, January 15, 2016
Christ Embassy razed by fire!, not holy ghost fire this time, but real fire (Photo)
A section of the Christ Embassy Church on Oregun Road, Ikeja, Lagos, was gutted by fire on Wednesday, destroying some property of the church.
This is just as goods estimated at millions of naira were destroyed in an inferno that ravaged the Alaba International Market, Ojo, the second in less than a week.
According to Punch, Christ Embassy fire started around 9pm after an electrical spark in the switch room of the church.
The quick response of officials of the Lagos State Fire Service, however, saved the day.
An official of the agency explained that the fire was contained within 30 minutes of active firefighting, adding that no life was lost.
He said, “Around 9.08pm on Wednesday, we got a call that there was a fire incident in the church. We deployed two 10,000 litres of water from our stations in Ikeja and Alausa. It was discovered that the fire was on the topmost floor of the church’s three-storeyed building.
“There had been an electrical spark in the switch room, which triggered off the fire. In about 30 minutes, we put it out.”
It was gathered that less than a week after nine shops were gutted by fire in the Alaba International Market, another fire destroyed some electronics items in the market on Wednesday.
Three shops were said to have been affected.
The spokesperson for the Lagos State Fire Service, Amodu Shakiru, who confirmed the two incidents, appealed to residents of Lagos to be more safety conscious.