Let's Talk About News: Entertainment, Sport, Social, Culture, Economy, Politics, Fashion, Events, Gossip and lots more
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
At least 10 people reportedly killed in fresh suicide bomber attack
A suicide bomber attacked a mosque in northern Cameroon on Wednesday, January 13, killing at least 10 people, Reuters reports.
According to officials in the Far North region, the latest attack is linked to an insurgency by the Boko Haram sect.
Speaking about the attack, a senior local official, who pleaded for anonymity, said:
“The suicide attack took place at 5:40 a.m. (2340 ET) in a mosque at Kouyape. There were 13 deaths including the man who blew himself up and one wounded.”
However, another senior local official said that at least 10 people died.
The Islamist group whose origins are in northeastern Nigeria has carried out bloody attacks in neighbouring Cameroon, Chad and Niger since last year. Many of the recent attacks in Cameroon have been conducted by female suicide bombers.
On December 11, suspected Boko Haram members killed at least eight people in a suicide bombing in Cameroon’s far north region.
According to local officials, there were two suicide bombers but only the first bomb exploded.
A few days later, Cameroon forces in Kolofata killed two women who entered the town before dawn wearing explosive vests.
The first would-be suicide bomber was killed by a group of vigilantes, while the second one was shot by the Rapid Response Brigade, known by their French acronym BIR.